Tuesday, December 30, 2003

Now this is just pathetic

According to a White House press release, on October 3 Laura Bush said, in the course of her opening remarks at the National Book Festival Gala,
President Bush is a great leader and husband - but I bet you didn't know, he is also quite the poet. Upon returning home last night from my long trip, I found a lovely poem waiting for me. Normally, I wouldn't share something so personal, but since we're celebrating great writers, I can't resist.
She then read a bit of doggerel addressed to "Dear Laura" of a sort any non-poet husband might write to his wife. She then said "I'm happy to be the inspiration behind this poem." Now, however, while appearing on "Meet the Press" on Sunday,
[t]he first lady also said that the "Roses are red, violets are blue" poem she read at a National Book Festival gala in October was not actually written by her husband even though it has been attributed to him. ...

"But a lot of people really believed that he did," she said. "Some woman from across the table said, 'You just don't know how great it is to have a husband who would write a poem for you.'"
I mean, jeez, can't these people tell the truth about anything?

No comments:

 
// I Support The Occupy Movement : banner and script by @jeffcouturer / jeffcouturier.com (v1.2) document.write('
I support the OCCUPY movement
');function occupySwap(whichState){if(whichState==1){document.getElementById('occupyimg').src="https://sites.google.com/site/occupybanners/home/isupportoccupy-right-blue.png"}else{document.getElementById('occupyimg').src="https://sites.google.com/site/occupybanners/home/isupportoccupy-right-red.png"}} document.write('');