Thursday, August 26, 2004

Do not go gentle into that good night

Denial, anger, bargaining, depression, and acceptance. The pattern is now familiar, so familiar that, like most things that get absorbed into a culture, it's been applied to areas well beyond its original meaning.

But it was new, revolutionary, in fact, in 1969 when Elisabeth Kubler-Ross labeled and explained the "five stages of grief" associated with death. Her book, On Death and Dying, became a standard text for those dealing with terminally-ill patients and those around them and was central to her being named among the "100 Most Important Thinkers" of the 20th century by Time magazine in 1999.

Elisabeth Kubler-Ross, 78, having gone through her own five stages, died of natural causes Tuesday at her home in Scottsdale, Arizona.
"For the past two years, I have — thanks to a series of strokes — been totally dependent on others for basic care," she wrote at the time [1997]. "Every day is spent struggling to get from bed to a chair to the bathroom and back again. My only wish has been to leave my body, like a butterfly shedding its cocoon, and finally merge with the great light."
She was ridiculed by some for her later beliefs in near-death experiences, reincarnation, and channelling the spirits of the dead, which were perhaps her own way of bargaining. I don't share those beliefs, but I won't mock her for holding to them.

In fact, I'm perhaps best described as an agnostic on life after death. I don't believe in it because I see no basis for doing so. At the same time, I say with Alexander Alekhine "I can't conceive that there will be nothing left of me when I am gone." Yet I know that may simply be my own failure of imagination, or even an inability of the human mind to imagine its own non-existence (since to imagine it there must be something doing the imagining). All of which means that while I believe the mind, the spirit if you will, which the more we look the more it depends on physical processes within the brain, does not survive the body, I can't absolutely rule it out.

So no, I will not mock her. Instead I will celebrate her life and the understanding she brought to and of both life and death.

No comments:

 
// I Support The Occupy Movement : banner and script by @jeffcouturer / jeffcouturier.com (v1.2) document.write('
I support the OCCUPY movement
');function occupySwap(whichState){if(whichState==1){document.getElementById('occupyimg').src="https://sites.google.com/site/occupybanners/home/isupportoccupy-right-blue.png"}else{document.getElementById('occupyimg').src="https://sites.google.com/site/occupybanners/home/isupportoccupy-right-red.png"}} document.write('');