Saturday, September 11, 2004

September 13, 2001

[Another email, this one in reponse to one from a friend in the UK, again asking how I was doing.]

<< Such sad news. Hope no-one close to you is caught up in this. >>

No, no one I know personally. But there's always more of an impact when it's something you know, something you can picture. I remember when the World Trade Center was built. Now I'll remember when - and how - it came down.

Apparently, the delay between the first and second hits enabled a good portion of the second tower to be evacuated. Nonetheless, the loss of life will be huge; I wouldn't be surprised if it ultimately reached 5 figures.

Now what happens? I'm afraid of what this could mean to the future. Already there have been incidents of violence and threats against Arabs (who are ALL Muslims, of course, as we all know) and mosques (because ALL Muslims are rabid extremists, of course, as we all know). Even someone I know online who would usually be considered rather liberal said she has "no problem with that" when I expressed a worry about "anti-Muslim xenophobia" because "I never met a nice Arab who wasn't a Jew-hating racist at heart," using the attack to justify her own concealed bigotry.

Meanwhile, the White House is promising an "extended military campaign." We may be in for hard times, times which will not include asking any questions about why it happened that don't involve "security lapses." Even wondering about motivations beyond "unreasoning hatred" and being "uncivilized" simply won't be allowed and risking such a thought is liable to get you branded an apologist for terrorists.

We're headed, I expect, for more cycles of retaliation and counter-retaliation, everyone insisting their enemies are subhuman devils and they themselves are the offended innocents. It's gonna get worse.

No comments:

 
// I Support The Occupy Movement : banner and script by @jeffcouturer / jeffcouturier.com (v1.2) document.write('
I support the OCCUPY movement
');function occupySwap(whichState){if(whichState==1){document.getElementById('occupyimg').src="https://sites.google.com/site/occupybanners/home/isupportoccupy-right-blue.png"}else{document.getElementById('occupyimg').src="https://sites.google.com/site/occupybanners/home/isupportoccupy-right-red.png"}} document.write('');