Saturday, October 30, 2004

Just FYI

How do we know what Saturn's moon Titan looks like? Sure, we have digital photographs sent back by the Cassini space probe, pictures which reveal a complex world with some baffling features. But those are still 2-D pictures of a moon covered in haze, making surface features hard to see.

What scientists will do is use photo-enhancement software to increase contrast or otherwise alter the image without introducing any new elements in order to emphasize aspects of the images, bringing out details previously difficult to detect.

Why am I telling you all this in a non-geek post? Because Dr. Robert M. Nelson, a senior research scientist at NASA currently involved in just such analysis of the newest photographs of Titan, has applied those techniques to the picture of the "bulge" under George Bush's jacket during the first presidential debate. His conclusion, as reported in Salon for Friday:
"I am willing to stake my scientific reputation to the statement that Bush was wearing something under his jacket during the debate," he says. "This is not about a bad suit. And there's no way the bulge can be described as a wrinkled shirt."
While saying the image is "consistent with" an electronic device, as a good scientist Nelson acknowledges that he can't say what the object actually was. But he is absolutely certain there was something there.

Chances this will actually make real news: Low. Chances that, if Shrub is re-elected, Dr. Nelson has ruined his career: High.

Personally, I didn't join in the gleeful noise about the "mysterious bulge" because I've not been saying much of anything here about the election. That's because, as I've said several times, I tend to skip commenting on things that I figure are being covered more than adequately elsewhere. In fact, I sometimes suspect my hit rate has suffered because over the last few months my posts haven't consisted mainly of Bush. Kerry. Bush. Kerry. Bush. Kerry. Kerry rocks, man! Bush. Kerry. Bush. Kerry. Bush. Kerry. Bush sucks, man! Bush. Kerry. Bush. Kerry....

Indeed, I only mention it now because of the expertise Dr. Nelson brings to the issue - plus, of course, the connection to astronomy and space exploration. But I will say that I actually was certain from the start there was something under Bush's jacket because of something I haven't seen anyone else mention: In the picture, Bush is leaning slightly forward with his shoulders a little rounded. That would tend to make the jacket stretch across his back, not "bunch" as the White House originally claimed - and such a stretching would tend to make the fabric press against anything underneath it, emphasizing an outline.

Footnote: To read the entire article you either have to be a Salon subscriber or obtain a one-day "pass" by watching an ad.

No comments:

 
// I Support The Occupy Movement : banner and script by @jeffcouturer / jeffcouturier.com (v1.2) document.write('
I support the OCCUPY movement
');function occupySwap(whichState){if(whichState==1){document.getElementById('occupyimg').src="https://sites.google.com/site/occupybanners/home/isupportoccupy-right-blue.png"}else{document.getElementById('occupyimg').src="https://sites.google.com/site/occupybanners/home/isupportoccupy-right-red.png"}} document.write('');