Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Help me out

I make no claims to be well-informed on current pop culture, so I need a little help here.

In several bits about the silliness over the Clinton campaign picking a song, I've seen statements to the effect of "Celine Dion? Oh, Nooooo!" The reaction didn't seem to be about the song or about that she's French-Canadian, but about her.

Now, I'm not a Celine Dion fan and contrary to most of those fans, I don't think she's hot. But I do think she's got a very fine voice: Good control, good range, good phrasing, with enough inflection to give it style instead of being just a technical exercise.

So what is the deal here? Is she just the latest holder of the Anti-Hip Chair, the position formerly occupied by such as Barry Manilow, Extreme, and Air Supply, where people gain hipness points (and avoid getting cultural cooties) by declaring at any opportunity how much they hate them? What's going on?

Help me out, someone.

No comments:

 
// I Support The Occupy Movement : banner and script by @jeffcouturer / jeffcouturier.com (v1.2) document.write('
I support the OCCUPY movement
');function occupySwap(whichState){if(whichState==1){document.getElementById('occupyimg').src="https://sites.google.com/site/occupybanners/home/isupportoccupy-right-blue.png"}else{document.getElementById('occupyimg').src="https://sites.google.com/site/occupybanners/home/isupportoccupy-right-red.png"}} document.write('');