Tuesday, June 12, 2007

On this day in history

Today, June 12, is an anniversary. A nice round anniversary: the 25th. The silver.

I tried to find what the media said about this anniversary. I looked at the web pages of the New York Times, the Washington Post, the Boston Globe, the Los Angeles Times, the Christian Science Monitor, and the International Herald Tribune. I checked the BBC. I checked Yahoo News and Google News. I checked InfoPlease.com's This Day in History. I looked at the History Channel.

Nothing. Not a word. Not a breath.

What anniversary? The 25th anniversary of the largest peace demonstration in US history: June 12, 1982, the day that somewhere between 750,000 and 1 million people gathered in New York City on the occasion of the Second UN Special Session on Disarmament, showing their support for a nuclear freeze and nuclear disarmament.

Ignored. Banished from memory. Unworthy of comment, unworthy even of being included in lists of events that managed to find space for such major occurrences as the premiere of the movie "Cleopatra." Which should tell us a lot about us and our media.

In fact, it's so depressingly revealing that I really don't feel like taking the time to go into the history of the demonstration and the nuclear freeze movement that gave rise to it, so just go read this post I did two years ago.

Footnote: This is the nuclear news for today, a tale of workers denied benefits.

No comments:

 
// I Support The Occupy Movement : banner and script by @jeffcouturer / jeffcouturier.com (v1.2) document.write('
I support the OCCUPY movement
');function occupySwap(whichState){if(whichState==1){document.getElementById('occupyimg').src="https://sites.google.com/site/occupybanners/home/isupportoccupy-right-blue.png"}else{document.getElementById('occupyimg').src="https://sites.google.com/site/occupybanners/home/isupportoccupy-right-red.png"}} document.write('');