Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Footnote to the preceding


The photo was taken in the immediate wake of the bomb blast that occurred as Benazir Bhutto was killed. I include it here because while I have, happily and fortunately, never directly experienced anything nearly so dreadful, still it expresses how I often feel looking at the world: a dazed, helpless rage at the devastation and bloodshed I see around me, silently screaming "why?" even as I know there is no answer. That's one of the reasons I think I should no longer commit myself to posting daily. I have described it in the past as "the world is too much with me," I just feel overwhelmed and I need to step away, even just for a day or two.

Okay, dude, definitely time to can the melodrama for a while.

Footnote: I found the picture through Wonkette, to which I must have gone from somewhere else since I never read it. Still, be it known that at this link she has a number of photos surrounding the assassination, if you care to check them out.

One related thing: The pictures, obviously, come from Getty Images; if I read the site correctly, by using this "preview" version I'm not running afoul of any copyright issues. I know a lot of you don't care about that and think online is a free-for-all or more exactly a "free-for-me," but having had my work both as a writer and a photographer ripped off without even attribution, much less payment, I do care.

No comments:

 
// I Support The Occupy Movement : banner and script by @jeffcouturer / jeffcouturier.com (v1.2) document.write('
I support the OCCUPY movement
');function occupySwap(whichState){if(whichState==1){document.getElementById('occupyimg').src="https://sites.google.com/site/occupybanners/home/isupportoccupy-right-blue.png"}else{document.getElementById('occupyimg').src="https://sites.google.com/site/occupybanners/home/isupportoccupy-right-red.png"}} document.write('');