Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Comment irritation

Updated Okay, comments are going to be a problem here for a bit.

Haloscan, as you know, was bought out and converted to some little monstrosity called Echo. I don't like Echo. I don't like the look, I don't like that there is no way to have a link to your website (that isn't written out in the body of the comment), I don't like that there is no way to link directly to a comment, and I really don't like the idea of being expected to pay more for something that gives me less than I had before.

So Echo nee Haloscan is gone, no longer working here.

I tried to set up comments under Blogger but they don't work, either. It appears now that the only way I can get them to work is to "upgrade" to one of the inane color-by-numbers "layout" templates, which will lose everything in the right-hand column here, requiring me to reconstruct it by hand.

So it's going to require a bit of time (and, I suspect, a lot of irritation) before that's done. You'll know it's done when you see an obvious change in color or design or some such here.

In the meantime, I encourage anyone who has something to say to email me; the address is right over there on the right. If you do, I'd strongly suggest a subject line something like "Re Lotus" or "About your blog post" or some such thing to make sure it doesn't get mistaken for spam.

This post will be kept at the top for about a week.

Updated with something else I don't like about Echo: If you follow a link in a comment, the link opens in the same window - and there's no way to get back to the comment thread. You have to go back to the original post and re-open the comments to continue reading them.

1 comment:

Lotus said...

Test of comment function.

 
// I Support The Occupy Movement : banner and script by @jeffcouturer / jeffcouturier.com (v1.2) document.write('
I support the OCCUPY movement
');function occupySwap(whichState){if(whichState==1){document.getElementById('occupyimg').src="https://sites.google.com/site/occupybanners/home/isupportoccupy-right-blue.png"}else{document.getElementById('occupyimg').src="https://sites.google.com/site/occupybanners/home/isupportoccupy-right-red.png"}} document.write('');