Saturday, June 04, 2016

248.3 - Hero Award: Rep. Zoe Lofgren

Hero Award: Rep. Zoe Lofgren

After that, we have to lighten things up a bit, which we will do by giving out a Hero Award, something we do as need arises to recognize someone who just does right thing on a matter big or small.

This time, the award goes to Rep. Zoe Lofgren.

During a House Judiciary Committee hearing on May 25, Lofgren read aloud part of the testimony of Gail Heriot, who had testified against the Obama administration's recent guidance for schools on how to accommodate transgender students.

This is the part of Heriot's testimony which she quoted: "If I believe that I am a Russian princess, that doesn't make me a Russian princess, even if my friends and acquaintances are willing to indulge my fantasy. Nor am I a Great Horned Owl just because I happen to share some personality traits with those feathered creatures."

Rep. Zoe Lofgren
Lofgren called that "offensive" - which is probably the mildest description it deserves, as it equates being transgender with being delusional to the point of insanity. Lofgren said that she regretted that it was in the record.

When Heriot jumped in to say the Obama administration's guidelines were "offensive," Lofgren would have none of it, declaring and this is the money quote,

"I think you're a bigot, lady. I think you are an ignorant bigot."

The committee chair told Lofgren she was out of order. I think she was spot on. And a Hero.

Sources cited in links:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zoe_Lofgren
http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/zoe-lofgren-witness-bigot-transgender

No comments:

 
// I Support The Occupy Movement : banner and script by @jeffcouturer / jeffcouturier.com (v1.2) document.write('
I support the OCCUPY movement
');function occupySwap(whichState){if(whichState==1){document.getElementById('occupyimg').src="https://sites.google.com/site/occupybanners/home/isupportoccupy-right-blue.png"}else{document.getElementById('occupyimg').src="https://sites.google.com/site/occupybanners/home/isupportoccupy-right-red.png"}} document.write('');