Friday, May 11, 2012

Quick thought on Obama

There was something that I found interesting in Obama's statement of support for same-sex marriage on which no one else (as far as I've seen) has commented. It was in the particular words chosen:
I’ve just concluded that for me personally it is important for me to go ahead and affirm that I think same-sex couples should be able to get married.
That, and his tone, struck me as coming from someone who really didn't want to be saying this, who knows he is taking a political risk (and whether it's coming rather sooner than he planned doesn't really matter on that score), but has come to feel that he just can't continue with the lame "evolving" dodge any longer. It had, that is, a personal feel of someone who had become uncomfortable with the gap between what he said and what he thought to the point where, damn it, that he didn't want to do it any more.

You all know me well enough, I expect, to know what a cynic I can be and it's easy to be cynical here and think of it in terms of fundraising - but despite that, there was something about the way it was said that came across to me at heartfelt. And I figure credit where it's due.

Footnote: I did a bit of a double-take when I saw Robin Roberts' name on a story because to me, this is who Robin Roberts will always be.

No comments:

 
// I Support The Occupy Movement : banner and script by @jeffcouturer / jeffcouturier.com (v1.2) document.write('
I support the OCCUPY movement
');function occupySwap(whichState){if(whichState==1){document.getElementById('occupyimg').src="https://sites.google.com/site/occupybanners/home/isupportoccupy-right-blue.png"}else{document.getElementById('occupyimg').src="https://sites.google.com/site/occupybanners/home/isupportoccupy-right-red.png"}} document.write('');