Wednesday, March 06, 2013

Something I never thought I'd be saying

I never expected these words would pass my lips (or, more accurately, my fingers), but here they are:

Right on, Rand Paul.

I do not, I cannot, understand why we are supposed to be psyched about the prospect of John Brennan heading up the CIA.

Why? Because the GOPpers are against him? Screw that; I'll make my own decisions about who deserves my support without counting the political points scored for and against like governing was the sports event we regularly slam the media for treating it as.

Why? Because PHC*, the Amazing Mr. O, wants him? Double screw that; and repeat my previous comment.

We've now got a president whose Justice Department claims he has the authority to use military force to kill American citizens on American soil**, nominating for CIA Director someone who was involved in either bungling or deliberately distorting intelligence in the run-up to the Iraq War, endorsed torture, and is the architect of Obama's drone policy (which he defended as "ethical and just").

There is no reason in hell why anybody on the left should support this nomination and every reason why we should condemn it if only to establish some moral distance between ourselves and an administration that is showing clear signs of megalomania.

So right on, Rand Paul.

*PHC = President Hopey-Changey
**Eric Holder, in making the claim, said it would only apply in "extraordinary circumstances" such as the attack on Pearl Harbor and 9/11 - both of which, it seems I recall, actually occurred without the president at the time dropping drones on American citizens.

No comments:

 
// I Support The Occupy Movement : banner and script by @jeffcouturer / jeffcouturier.com (v1.2) document.write('
I support the OCCUPY movement
');function occupySwap(whichState){if(whichState==1){document.getElementById('occupyimg').src="https://sites.google.com/site/occupybanners/home/isupportoccupy-right-blue.png"}else{document.getElementById('occupyimg').src="https://sites.google.com/site/occupybanners/home/isupportoccupy-right-red.png"}} document.write('');